Shop Eat Surf has an interesting article this morning on statistics in the skateboard industry. The article is actually about the direction as an industry but covers things like:
- - There are 11.08 million skaters.
- - It is a US$4.8 billion market.
- - 77% of skaters say specialty skate stores are the place to shop.
- - Sales of hardgoods and shoes are down but sales of clothing are up.
- - We’re getting older – in 2008, 71 percent of participants were 12 to 17 years old. In 2006, 45 percent fit that age range.
According to the article, “The good news is the 5-to-9 year old age segment is growing due to the increase in the current population younger than 5. The growth in the 5-to-9 year old age segment since 2002 may cause another surge in board sports participation by 2010.” The article also talks about how retailers need to adapt with the changing age and shopping habits of the primary audience. It’s definitely an interesting read, check it out here.